Pengorama
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.

Go down 
+4
Libbeh
Skivenski
Flubby
Tenkai
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tenkai
Unlimited Penguin
Unlimited Penguin
Tenkai

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Empty
PostSubject: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:33 am

I just read the new topic in news, and was displeased. It seems like goob's response to the lack of activity is to have everyone go on a huge advertising spree. I see several problems with that, and will address them all in this topic.

So, if the site is inactive, that means that there are very few posts, and not many people get on a day. Most of those people are the same people, and that means that there are only like 6-10 active users. That would mean that only those users would see the news. That would result in an advertising revolution carried out by 6-10 users. Some of those users may have nowhere else to advertise. That would take off a few, so an advertising spree led by about 7 users.

Next is the fact that we have 62 Registered users! If each user made an average of 5+ posts a day, this place would have a server crash. So, why do we need more users? Why not just get the ones we have active? We have 24 users with 5 or less total posts. we have 37 with 10 or less. We only have 20 users that made the effort to get 25+ posts, and 15 with 50+. There are 12 users that have 100+ posts, and 3 with 200+.

I guess my point is that we don't need to advertise right now. We need to get the other users active! I don't know how we would do that, but thats what needs to happen.

Best of luck with this staff,
- Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Tenkaicopyrightmarker
Back to top Go down
http://s1.zetaboards.com/CPBoards/index/
Flubby
Administrator
Administrator
Flubby

Number of posts : 196
Infractions : Eleventeen
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Good point, half of our users are active, we have 20-30 users that don't post. If we reminded them about the forum, we could really start this place up again.

Though some new users wouldn't hurt. Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. 320256
Back to top Go down
Skivenski
VIP
VIP
Skivenski

Number of posts : 348

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 3:16 pm

^^True, flubby.^^

But how? This place is, well, the perfect forum. Nice users, great staff, awesome banner and theme. There's tons of threads to post in. There's even the factor of the vip motivation. What can we do get our current users to post more? That's what we need to think about. And not just staff, as you mentioned, Tenkai. Everyone needs to brainstorm.

Here's my plan: As a first we should e-mail/ PM everyone with a message stating "Be active. We need more activity. Yada yada." Also, there could maybe be the possibility of prizes for posts. Not huge prizes, just enough to motivate people to post more. Every 50 posts maybe a prize of some sort? Think about it.
Back to top Go down
Flubby
Administrator
Administrator
Flubby

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Zish||Skivenski wrote:
^^True, flubby.^^

But how? This place is, well, the perfect forum. Nice users, great staff, awesome banner and theme. There's tons of threads to post in. There's even the factor of the vip motivation. What can we do get our current users to post more? That's what we need to think about. And not just staff, as you mentioned, Tenkai. Everyone needs to brainstorm.

Here's my plan: As a first we should e-mail/ PM everyone with a message stating "Be active. We need more activity. Yada yada." Also, there could maybe be the possibility of prizes for posts. Not huge prizes, just enough to motivate people to post more. Every 50 posts maybe a prize of some sort? Think about it.

Well we could make special rooms for certain ranks, I just don't think we should go overboard with the prizes. It would be hard to think of more then just several prizes, people would get bored of them.
Back to top Go down
Skivenski
VIP
VIP
Skivenski

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Flubby wrote:
Zish||Skivenski wrote:
^^True, flubby.^^

Well we could make special rooms for certain ranks, I just don't think we should go overboard with the prizes. It would be hard to think of more then just several prizes, people would get bored of them.
True, but hey, just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Tenkai
Unlimited Penguin
Unlimited Penguin
Tenkai

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 pm

I have an idea.

On my forum, we are working on a 'puffle points' system. These are points you get for achieving things, like becoming staff or getting 10 referrals.

what you could do is offer say, 100 points for every 100 posts you get. zthen make a new subforum where people can make shops and such. Maybe make it cost 50 points to get a name change, 100 for a custom smiley, and 200 for a custom rank, etc.
Back to top Go down
Flubby
Administrator
Administrator
Flubby

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Yes they have that on alot of forums.

Most of the time they're called credits, points, coins, etc.

I was thinking about this the other day.
Back to top Go down
Libbeh
Libbeh

Number of posts : 214
Infractions : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Oh please no. I hate point systems, just because somebody has 300 posts doesn't mean that they're any better than the guy with 20. I don't have referrals because the only other forum I'm on (dragon play) doesn't have a single member who would be mildly interested in joining this forum. Is the person with 5 referals any better than me? No, am I better than them? No.

It just annoys me because it seems unfair, I'm not much of a poster, I never have been, Skiv is a big poster, but we're both equal, and I don't think either of us should get more benefits than the person who has 30 posts.

I could kinda agree with the namechange policy of 50 points or so, but having members open signature shops and such for points annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Tenkai
Unlimited Penguin
Unlimited Penguin
Tenkai

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Points are fun. Maybe there could be ways for the people who don't post much to get points, like a donation system.
Back to top Go down
Ovech
Ovech

Number of posts : 177
Infractions : 0 :D
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

I sorta agree with what Libbeh has to say...people would think they are "better" or "more popular" by the number of posts or points they have...

Although we do need more active members, I think the forum is fine the way it is...
Back to top Go down
Skivenski
VIP
VIP
Skivenski

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Plus, you have to overlook the possibility (regarding a point system) of users just posting a bunch of spam to get points. I mean, I post a lot, but I'm not like "Cool" to a post I haven't even read. You know what I'm talking about. So maybe a point system where you gather points from posting guides, selling signatures, winning contests, etc., and NOT posts. Hmm?
Back to top Go down
Tenkai
Unlimited Penguin
Unlimited Penguin
Tenkai

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Skivenski wrote:
Plus, you have to overlook the possibility (regarding a point system) of users just posting a bunch of spam to get points. I mean, I post a lot, but I'm not like "Cool" to a post I haven't even read. You know what I'm talking about. So maybe a point system where you gather points from posting guides, selling signatures, winning contests, etc., and NOT posts. Hmm?

maybe just a small contest to get activity. Other than that, posts won't affect points.
Back to top Go down
Tricky14
Pengorama Fan
Pengorama Fan
Tricky14

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 12:17 am

Every forum, anywhere you go, has some members who don't get on often. That is just normal. Advertising is, in my opinion, better than trying to get old members on.
Back to top Go down
Hellopayton
Pengorama Fan
Pengorama Fan
Hellopayton

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Libbeh wrote:
I'm on (dragon play)
Ha ha ha Dragon Play. The game that will never come to be.
Back to top Go down
cdjcl
Rockhopper's Buddy
Rockhopper's Buddy

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am

really, points are a bad idea, some people will only go on to get acheive more points, so it looks like there the best member of the forum, then they'll show off, ect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.   Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advertising isn't everything: My philosophy on an overload of inactive members and staff's solution.
Page 1 of 1